Background

Sunday, December 5

Beautiful Creatures~ Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺

Plot: ☺☼

Characters: ☺☺☼

Setting: ☺☺

Overall: ☺☺

There were no surprises
in Gatlin Country.
A least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have
been more wrong.

There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end,
there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generation. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps, and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful  girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

~*~*~*~*~*~

In the first half of the book I was really into it because I wanted to know what she was. I will admit that I completely ignored the blatant cliche that was Beautiful Creatures for a very long time. However after you find out what she is the book came to a grinding halt. I can even tell you the exact moment that I lost interest: The moment Ridley was introduced.

The story was the typical boy meets girl. Boy likes girl. Girl likes boy. Girl and boy wont admit that they like each other. Something is different about girl/boy. Something is even more different about boy/girl. They try to avoid each other for the sake of of their love. In the end they exit stage left into rainbow filled happiness.

Characters that I did not like: Amma, every person in the high school, all the people in town, Ridley, and almost everyone else.

Characters I did like: Boo Radley (the dog) and Larkin.

The book was unnecessarily long. And when I say long I mean the book was 563 pages long and about 263 of those pages were not really needed.

Why did Amma have to continually spell everything. That was A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G. Are you bugged yet? I am and I am the one who did it. This story was one big cliche and not a good one. My biggest issue however is not that so much as it was BORING. With a capital B. There are more things that I did not particularly like about this book but I would rather not continue with this negative rant. I will most likely read the second book though because I really want to know whether she will be light or dark.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response