Background

Tuesday, October 26

Twenty Boy Summer~ Sarah Ockler Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☺☺

Plot: ☺☺☺☼

Characters: ☺☺☺☺

Setting: ☺☺☺☼

Overall: ☺☺☺☼

"Don't worry, Anna. I'll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won't say anything?"
"Don't worry." I laughed. "It's our secret, right?"

According to Anna's best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there's a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there's something she hasn't told Frankie-she's already had her romance, and it was with Frankie's older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

I really liked this book. It was though provoking and even though I already know that Matt was going to die I was still very surprised and sad when it happened. Now I am going to admit that since I put off writing this review for about a month that I do not really remember ever little nuance of the story so I will not be able to get into minute detail but here goes.

First I want to talk about Anna and Frankie's friendship. I liked how even though Frankie changed so much because of Matt's death that they still stayed friends afterward. I realize that without this plot device there would have been no book but I really liked that. Most of the time when something big like this happens in a friendship the friends end up eternal enemies. However the cliche of the family of the deceased becoming outgoing and 'shallow' and the friend being the geek is a little over played.

Back to relationships though. I loved all of them. Just the way that every single character interacted with one another was very believable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response