Background

Tuesday, October 19

Suite Scarlett~ Maureen Johnson Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☼

Plot: ☺☺☺

Characters: ☺☺

Setting: ☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☼

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way.

Her family owns the Hopewell, a small hotel in the heart of New York City. Her nineteen-year-old brother, Spencer, is an out of work actor facing a family deadline to get his career in order. Eighteen-year-old Lola has the delicate looks of a model, the practical nature of a nurse, and a wealthy society boyfriend. Eleven-year-old Marlene is the family terror with a tragic past.

When the Martins turn fifteen, they are each expected to take over the care of a suite in the once elegant, now shabby Art Deco hotel. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite, and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet, world traveler, and aspiring autographer who wants to take over her life. And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.

With Mrs. Amberson calling the shots, Spencer's career to save, Lola's love life to navigate around, and Marlene's prying eyes everywhere, things wont be easy. Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery, Broadway glamour, romantic missteps, and theatrical deception.

The show, as they say, must always go on. . .

I have to say that this book was not what I would call attention grabbing for me. I felt that maybe if the main character had any backbone I would have liked it better. However, it is very obvious by the end of the first few chapters that Scarlett was absent the day that they were handing out spine to the new children. Also what I got from the summary was very different from the actual book. From the summary I thought that their business was doing okay. The book does not have a page where it did not mention how poor the Martin family was.

I will admit that there were places in the book that I really liked but those places were few and far between. Scarlett just felt like she was just there. She was a perfectly boring character plopped carelessly in to the story with almost no purpose other than to exist and describe what was going on around her.

Marlene being a monster was rather annoying. Maybe I am just being callous, because I am know for that , but I felt that the parents were at fault for there child being such a annoying brat. Marlene did not act eleven and even though it is clearly stated in the summary I felt that I would really hate to see her actions done by someone over seven. I swear the way the call her cancer a "tragic past" is ridiculous. The information barely pertains to the plot except for the few who would feel so bad about that fact that they just magically forget about the huge brat that is Marlene. And even then she does not even a 'cute' brat. She is just an inconvenience. By the end I still did not care for her because the one time that she is told to stop it she goes running to mommy.

This book was really not my favorite. It was just there and I happened to read it. Unfortunately or fortunately what ever way you see it I will most likely forget completely about this book in a few months and the only way I will know that I really read it will be by this website.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response