Background

Thursday, October 28

Queen of Babble~ Meg Cabot Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☼

Plot: ☺☺

Characters: ☺☺☼

Setting: ☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☼

What's an American girl with a big mouth but an equally big heart to do?

Lizzie Nichols has a problem, and it isn't that she doesn't have the slightest idea what she's going to do with her life or that she's blowing what should be her down payment on a cute little Manhattan apartment on a trip to London to visit her long distance boyfriend, Andrew. But what's the point of planning for the future when she's done it again? See, Lizzie can't keep her mouth shut. And it's not just that she can't keep her own secrets, she can't keep anything to herself.

This time when she opens her big mouth, her good intentions get Andrew in major hot water. So now Lizzie's stuck in London with no boyfriend and no place to stay until the departure date on her non-refundable airline ticket.

Fortunately, there's Shari, Lizzie's best friend and college roommate, who's spending her summer in southern France, catering weddings with her boyfriend, Chaz, in a sixteenth-century chateau. One call and Lizzie's on a train to Souillac. Who cares if she's never traveled alone in life and only speaks rudimentary French? One glimpse of gorgeous Chateau Mirac--not to mention the gorgeous Luke, the son of Chateau Mirac's owner and she's smitten.

But while most caterers can be trusted to keep a secret, Lizzie's the exception. And no sooner has the first cork been popped than Luke hates her, the bride is in tears, and it looks like Chateau Mirac is in danger of becoming a lipo-recovery spa. As if things aren't bad enough, her ex-boyfriend Andrew show up looking for "closure" (or a least a loan), threatening to ruin everything, including Lizzie's chance at finding real love . . .

Unless she can figure out a way to use that big mouth of hers to save the day.

~*~*~*~*~*~

This has to be the very first book by Meg Cabot that I did not enjoy. Although honestly I did not even attempt to read The Princess Diaries because of how many times that the Disney Channel plays it. They really should stop replaying their movies and maybe think of playing some of their old ones. I know that they do that really late at night. And when I say late I mean at times that normal human beings are sleeping and the only ones who are up ate the people who should have started their homework the day it was assigned and not two days before it is due.

Back on track.

I felt that Lizzie was not so much as a big mouth as naive. It started out hilarious. I loved it. But after a while she started to get a little dumb. Lizzie was not really kicked out so much as she left after she repeatedly misunderstood a very obvious situation. She also had the problem with believing that everyone knew what she was talking about. Once or twice if this happens in a book I find it funny but if it happens whenever someone opens their mouth it seems to me to be more of a plot device and just annoying. What I am trying to say in this paragraph is that I did not really like Lizzie's characterization. How she was written was too on one side of the spectrum. One one side you have the punked out, abrasive, tough, wanna-fight, I only wear black and other dark clothes person and on the other you have the farm girl who knows about nothing and is all about "helping" people out. It never really works out for them. Lizzie almost goes past my even my point system. However if you are able to get past that than I promise you will enjoy the book. It really is quite funny when it is not annoying.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response