Background

Tuesday, October 12

Jars of Glass~ Brad Barkley & Heather Helper Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☺

Plot: ☺☺☺☺

Characters: ☺☺☺☼

Setting: ☺☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☺☼

Chloe wishes that everything could just go back to normal-that Mom would come home from the hospital and Dad would start acting like a dad again. But it doesn't look like either of those things will be happening anytime soon, and with her older sister sneaking out every night, Chloe is left at home to be the responsible caretaker of their little brother, Micah, who rarely speaks.

Shana is trying to escape her problems by hiding under black and white makeup and getting lost in the crowd of her Goth friends. Like Chloe, Shana wishes her life could go back to normal, but for reasons Chloe can't understand, Shana never, ever wants their mother to come home.

As things go from bad to worse, the sisters are forced to band together and redefine what it means to to be a family. Told in the alternating voices of Chloe and Shana, this striking novel from the critically acclaimed authors of Scrambled Eggs at Midnight and Dream Factory is full of wit, humor, heartbreak, and hope.

I had to really work for the information. In the beginning I was unable to figure out what really happened to their mother. It almost seemed a bit too much like she had died in both of the point of views in the first few chapters. It was very frustrating for me because only Shana knew what had happened and she was so closed lips about it.

I personally like Chloe more than Shana. Shana was too cynical and annoying. I could not stand her I'm know more than you because I'm older than you attitude. This could really be helped by the fact that I am the youngest in the family but I despise it when people treat me that way. The fact that Shana was less than one year older than Chloe really rubbed me the wrong way. I thought that she came off very self-righteous when she continually treated Chloe like a naive idiot just because Chloe wanted her mother to return home. She never even thought to tell Chloe why because she didn't think. That and I just felt that I connected more with Chloe than with Shana.

I felt that the story tried to hide what happened to the mother a bit overly-dramatic and that they did not have to try to hide it so much. When I finally found out what it was it was like, "Ohh, that's all . . ." Just a little disappointing. Most of the book was slightly disappointing but I absolutely loved Micah. I really like his name. If I had a pet I would so name it that. Boy or girl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response