Background

Monday, October 11

Goy Crazy~ Melissa Schorr Review


Enjoyment: ☺☼

Plot: ☺

Characters: ☺☺☺

Setting: ☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☼

Rachel Lowenstein can't help it. She's got a massive crush on a goy: Luke Christiansen, the gorgeous star of the basketball team at St. Joseph's Prep. But as the name implies, he's not exactly in Rachel's tribe. . . She just knows her parents would never approve. Then Rachel's grandmother issues a stern edict- "Don't go with the goyim!"- sealing Rachel's fate and presenting her with a major dilemma.

Everyone's got an opinion- from her annoying neighbor, Howard, to her newly social-climbing best friend. Should Rachel follow her heart and turn her back on her faith? Or should she heed her family's advice and try to find a nice Jewish boy?

With an unforgettable cast of characters and razor sharp wit, Melissa Schorr's debut novel is an engaging comedy about a girl's decision to go goy crazy.

Rachel, the so-called protagonist of the novel, reminded my very much of the narrator of Skunk Girl. Her 'enemy' did not even know that there was any animosity between them. Heck every single person who she said was out to get her, they did not even know that she existed. I hated the name for the 'popular' group. Every time I heard the phrase the So Very I wanted to punch the girl. That along with the fact that even when her grandmother died she could not stop thinking about herself for one second made me want to commit suicide or homicide, it changed from one moment to the next. Lets not forget the fact that she wears only black because that makes you one cool cat.

Sadly the author was very good at characterization. She slowly let out Rachel's personality so that she shined from every page of the book. Which personally was the problem. I despised her. She was clueless about her own faith that the premise of her having to give it up was laughable. She did not even have it in the first place. She knew nothing about anything and it really bugged me. Then there is the fact that she kept going on and on about how she had to fit in and yet when Howard suggested that she could have no idea for herself she got all mad. I think he was onto something there because on every page in every chapter all you see is her unable to have her own thought that does not involve making herself popular or just plain about herself. She makes everything about herself.

When it came to the antagonist of the book I was really let down. The antagonist in this book is a girl named Tara and through out the majority of the book she does nothing mean or mean-spirited to Rachel or anyone else. All you see is a girl living high school with the evil narrator of the book bagging on everything she does and reading something nefarious into it. Then in the last few dozen or so pages it seems that the author woke up and realised that they needed the antagonist to do something that would make Rachel not seem like such a bitch. And then she did what she did.

I feel that Melissa Schorr did not even try to make sound like the voice of however old Rachel was supposed to be and she just told up what she liked. In fact I would go as far as to say that this book seemed like nothing to me but a shameless self-insert back into her high school life. I just hope she was not as self-involved and obnoxious as the teen that I have forced myself to finish reading about.

On a good note I liked practically everyone who was not Rachel.

I am also happy to say that I was not a boy crazy slut that she makes all high school girls with boobs out to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response