Background

Saturday, October 9

Because I Am Furniture~ Thalia Chaltas Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☺
Plot: ☺☺☺☼

Characters: ☺☺☺☺

Setting: ☺☺☺☺☼

Overall: ☺☺☺☼

Anke's father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she is ignored, forced to be an invisible witness in a house of horrors. Believing she isn't worthy of even the worst kind of attention, Anke feels about as significant as the living room sofa. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. In a sport where you have to yell "Mine!" to play the ball, Anke learns for the first time how to make herself heard. As her confidence on the court builds, she finds a voice she didn't know existed. And it's not long before she realizes that if she can make people hear her while she's playing volleyball, then maybe she can be heard at home, too.

Author Thalia Chaltas leads you straight to the heart of Anke's darkly complicated world in this devastatingly powerful novel in poems.

I really wish I realized that this was a book of poems before I picked it up. I first heard about this book on another book blog and it had such a good recommendation that when I saw this at the library I practically picked it up without reading what it was about. I have never really been a big fan of books that are told in poem form. Then again I can't even stand to read books online for some reason. It kind of sucks because I really wanted to read this one book (I can't remember the name and I am too lazy to look) that I had access to for 55 days but I just could not stand reading it online. Back on track.

So poem form aside. The book had a very powerful message. I liked how Anke knew something was up and she could not understand how nobody in her family could keep quiet about it. Even though most of the book because it was in poems was straight to the point and direct there are many areas where I am still not quite sure what was going on. The up side is that I am sure that Thalia meant it to be like that. I felt that the book was very believable and it shows the reader (that would be me) a part of the world that may would like to pretend did not exist. This is a milder type of book that Oprah would have put on her reading list.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response