Background

Thursday, September 1

WereWorld: Rise of the Wolf by Curtis Jobling




Title: WereWorld: Rise of the Wolf
Author: Curtis Jobling
Publication: Viking (September 20, 2011)
ISBN 978-0-670-01330-2
Format: Paperback (449 pages) Advanced Reader's Copy
Acquired: LibraryThing


Rating: 4.5


In a kingdom torn apart by tyranny, one boy must take control of the powerful lycanthropy surging within him and lad a nation. But in a world filled with enemy werecreatures, does he have what it takes to become a hero?



When I requested this book from LibraryThing I did not really think that I would win it. They have so many people asking for books each month that it is always exciting when I win a book. Yet when I received the book I was reluctant to start reading it. It had a lot to do with the cover. The cover at the top of this post is the same one on the ARC that I received and I was not impressed with the giant animal thing that faced my in full cover. If it was supposed to be Drew in wolf form than I did not like how much it did not resemble a wolf. I like my werecreatures to at least look like the animal that they turn into and that think looked like a rat.

I broke down after more months than I would care to admit to. Yet the moment I read the first page I was hooked. I had already started to try to guess what was going to happen so that I could maybe say that I knew the ending from the first page. Oh how wrong I was. While I was able to guess some things none of it was really how I thought it would be. It kept me thinking and it kept me interested. I also found out that the animal on the cover was a rat and that made me feel a mixture of embarrassment and awesomeness.

I really liked this book. I was able to feel anger at the characters that were against Drew but then when they turned out to be good people somehow I was forced against my will to actually like them. Which is much harder than is sounds. Any author can make you dislike someone it is when they are able to make me like someone that a couple of pages ago was the enemy that my respect for them builds. Curtis did that to me and he did not just do it once but more times than I can count.

This book is one huge continuous adventure that I absolutely adored. I only wish that I had read it sooner.

P.S. Don't let the cover fool you. I liked it and I don't usually like hard-core fantasy novels complete with words that I can't pronounce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response