Background

Saturday, September 3

The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade




Title: The Hunchback Assignments
Author: Arthur Slade
Publication: Wendy Lamb Books (2009)
ISBN 978-0-375-85403-3
Format: Paperback (278 pages)
Acquired: Random Buzzers
Series: The Hunchback Assignments
             The Dark Deeps
             Empire of Ruins


Rating: 4.5



Modo's life begins in a traveling freak show. After being rescued by the mysterious Mr. Socrates, Modo, a hunchback, is trained as a first-class secret agent for the Permanent Association. When he turns fourteen, he goes to London, and soon he is investigating the disappearances of several street children. In his sleuthing, Modo relies on his ability to shape-shift, and traverses the rooftops of London with ease.

Modo discovers that the Clockwork Guild, a secret organization aided by a monstrous army, has set in motion a malicious plot against the government. He teams up with another young agent, Octavia Milkweek, to protect the British Empire, an assignment that takes them from the Tower of London to a terrifying world deep beneath the city.


I handpicked this book from Random Buzzers after I was able to get around 10,000 buzz bucks. I have been sitting on this book for a while and just recently got around to reading it.

It is a really good read. It reminds me a lot of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The Disney movie not the book but the book is on my "to read" list so maybe they might be similar too. If it was England, Quasimodo had the ability to change shape, and it was steam punk then they would be very similar. The main character is named Modo. That sort of sounds like his name I guess.

I really like the book because while it is directed toward a younger audience it somehow gives off the impression of being for adults.

Modo is a hunchback that can shape shift and he was sold to some gypsies who used him as a sideshow act. This part reminded me a bit of The Phantom of the Opera because Erik had been in the same position. The only difference is that Erik was broken out and Modo was sold to a man named Mr. Socrates.

I did not like Mr. Socrates and I don't know if that was Mister Slade's intention or not. He reminded me a lot of Frollo and that is not a good thing. I could understand why Modo thought that he owed Socrates but at the same time I liked him a whole lot better when he decided to think for himself more towards the end. The reason that he does start to think for himself more is because of Octavia.

I liked Octavia and I thought that Modo's crush on her was beyond cute. I hope that they get closer as friends in the next few books that I plan to read ASAP.

The whole book was an adventure which kept me interested when it was there. I will admit that before Modo was made to live on his own the book was not as active and things don't really happen in the beginning. However it quickly picks up after you are past the introduction and it was very worth it. While the book is not all bunnies and rainbows the darker content is mostly only alluded to. Yet if you have an imagination as good as mine that is all you will need. I liked this book and I think that even if you don't normally read steam punk that you should try it anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response