Background

Thursday, December 30

Darklight~ Lesley Livingston Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☺☼

Plot: ☺☺☺

Characters: ☺☺☼

Setting: ☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☺☼

Faerie can't lie . . .
                 or can they.

Much has changes since autumn, when Kelley Winslow learned she was a Faerie princess, fell in love with changeling guard Sonny Flannery, and saved the mortal realm from the ravages of the Wild Hunt. Now Kelley is stuck in New York City, rehearsing  Romeo and Juliet and missing Sonny more with every stage kiss, while Sonny has been forced back to the Otherworld and into a deadly game of cat and mouse with the remaining Hunters and Queen Mabh herself.

When a terrifying encounter sends Kelley tumbling into the Otherworld her reunion with Sonny is joyful but destined to be cut short. An ancient, hidden magick is stirring, and a dangerous new enemy is willing to risk everything to claim that power. Caught in a web of Faerie deception and shifting allegiances. Kelley and Sonny must tread carefully, for each next step could topple a kingdom . . . or tear them apart.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Warning: I read this book without reading the first one. This is bad on so many levels.

If you really want to understand what goes on in this book I would suggest reading the first one. The reason of this is simple. Kelley and Sonny do not spend much time together in this book and the time that is spent together is spent fighting. After the first few fights I started to wonder why they were together in the first place. The conclusion that I got was that it was only because Sonny saved Kelley in the first book. It became very clear to me later on that the author wants you to take what you remember from the first book (I assume that it shows them with better chemistry than the second) and bring it to the second book, thereby making you worry about the issues that they go through.

As it is I am not really sure what happened throughout most of the book because in order to understand some things you needed to be there for the first explanation. It does explain the new things but it once again uses terms that you learned in the first book. To go into it with cold feet is almost a kin to waking up in a different country where they speak a form of your language but at the same time it is nothing like what you are used to. Like old English or European English if you are from America. The dialect and colloquialisms  are different.

I thought that the plot was a little circular. Kelley had to solve her problem and when she tried to tell Sonny he was to busy with his problem. And then this third group had to solve their problem and none of the groups were talking together but when at the end they finally get together somehow all of their problems were connected. Did that give away too much? I hope not.

I can't really say if I had a favorite character in this book. It wasn't so much about the characters and how they evolve so much as the conflicts and how they were solved. Personally I think that with all the things that were uncovered about so many of the characters but not resolved means that the third book is going to be really interesting. Finally I can't really say that this book really made me like the main characters either. Sonny seemed like one of those annoying macho characters who believe that women have no place in helping with the big stuff. Kelley seemed a bit too much of a if I can't see it it is not there kind of person. It does not help that they both carry ideals that are literally centuries apart. I would say that this is a good book to read as long as you read the first one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response