Background

Friday, November 26

A Curse Dark as Gold~ Elizabeth C. Bunce Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺

Plot: ☺☺☼

Characters: ☺☼

Setting: ☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺

The gold thread shimmers
in the fading light.

It promises Charlotte Miller a way out of debt, a chance to save her family's beloved woolen mill. It promises a future for her sister, livelihood for her townsfolk, security against her sinuous and grasping uncle. It might even promise what she didn't know she needed; lasting hope and true love.

But at what cost?

To get the thread, Charlotte must strike a bargain with its maker, the mysterious Jack spinner. But the gleam of gold conjures a shadowy past--secrets and bonds ensnaring generations of Millers. And Charlotte's mill, her family, her friends, her love . . . What do those matter to a powerful stranger who can spin straw into gold?

~*~*~*~*~*~

Blech. In the back of the book it says that the reason that she wrote this book was to give the 'miller's daughter' in the old Rumpelstiltskin story. While I can't deny that Charlotte Miller was given a name I have to say that she forgot a personality for her. She acts exactly like the girl in the original story which was a huge disappointment for me. Maybe though it is my fault that I did not like this story as well as I thought I would. I really built it up in my mind. Because I have to admit that I am sick and tired of the same thing happening in every story like this.

Another big thing that was against this book was the fact that Charlotte reminded me of Hermione Granger from Harry Potter and I really disliked her. I am more of a Luna Lovegood kind of person and someone as factually driven as her bugged me. Charlotte also felt a bit too much like every bodies bad habit foil. If someone had a bad habit you could be guaranteed that she had the exact opposite trait. If someone was lazy she was hardworking. Emotional, well she is totally level headed. Superstitious, and she only believes things that there was solid proof for. Finally she never had an original thought or said anything that she wanted to say. In essense she had no backbone. For those of you who like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter you will most likely enjoy the book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response