Background

Wednesday, November 17

High School Bites~ Liza Conrad Review


Enjoyment: ☺☼

Plot: ☺

Characters: ☼

Setting: ☺☼

Overall: ☺

Let vampires get in the way of my sophomore year? You slay me!

Lucy Hellenberg is not your typical Pacific Cedar High student. In addition to hanging out with her friends, hating her hair and  her math teacher, and deciding whether she should dump her on-again, off-again boyfriend, she has to deal with a father who refuses to go outside and a house that bears way too much resemblance to the set of The Munsters.

And that's not all. Lucy has just discovered that she's a descendant of the lovely Lucy in Bram Stoker's Dracula and that vampires really do exist--right at home in Seattle. Now Lucy has to accessorize her homecoming dress with a necklace of garlic and learn how to drive while driving away vampires--without becoming their next victim . . .

~*~*~*~*~*~
ISBN 0-451-21752-7
Copyright Erica Orloff, 2006
Pages 228

This story misrepresented itself in the summary. It makes it sound like she never knew about vampires until suddenly she was attacked by some of them. That is not true. She found out about vampires because her father told her and then she had a nightmare and so obviously all vampires are evil and out to get her. Then after that a random vampire ends up with a crush on her vain friend and her friends little brother starts eating bugs. Man this is just too much for her. Now it is time to attack a whole club full of powerful vampires. Wow! How smart, selfless, and courageous can someone be? In case it is not completely obvious, I am being sarcastic here. Although we have to remember she and her friends had an entire day of research. Pathetic. It reminds me of those Ghostfacers in Supernatural.

New vein. Her boyfriend. She reads the diary of her ancestors on how Dracula was written about a man with the last name Irving and how all of his descendants are blood sucking vampires and yet she can't even think about the thought of leaving her boyfriend. No, it is unfathomable to her to leave such and amazing (sneer) guy who does things vampires would not. Lets forget about the fact that her mother and the rest of her ancestors have already said how charismatic they are. She has so many facts stacked against him and yet she won't believe that he is a vampire. Yet the moment he tells her to do something he MUST by a bloodsucking vampire out to suck her blood (Transylvanian accent).

Oh I also love how she decides to trust her teacher. Since he does not give homework and he gives chocolate after tests he must be the most trustworthy person out there.

Finally there is the love of her life. Wow. She broke up with her person that she was sure was meant for her probably hours before and yet in five seconds decides that the next male shaped object that she saw was the one meant for her. It made me want to gag. Sorry I can't say anymore because I would be giving more spoilers than I would feel comfortable with. Not that I have not given a lot so far. I zip my lips.

I started out reading this book thinking that while it was not bad it was really not all that good. After an uncountable amount of pages it just went downhill. Fast.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response