Background

Friday, October 1

Violet Wings~ Victoria Hanley Review


Enjoyment: ☺☺☺☺☼

Plot: ☺☺☺☺

Characters: ☺☺☺☼

Setting: ☺☺☺☺☺

Overall: ☺☺☺☺☼

Her mother's spellbook . . .

For Zaria Tourmaline, the three years without her mother and brother have been lonely ones, living with a cold and distant guardian while she completes her education. Just as she is ready to join the world of adult fairies and genies, she finds a spellbook written entirely in her mother’s hand. But this treasured object is not safe from a new enemy, a fairy with more power than Zaria ever dreamed existed. Only among the humans–who must never know fairies and genies exist–can Zaria hide the spellbook; but hidden magic, it turns out, can expose a fairy in ways she never thought possible.

When I first started the read this book my only intention was to read a chapter. I had planned to read a chapter or two of a couple of books and then start all over again. Violet Wings was the fourth book in the cycle and by the time that I finished the Prologue I decided to break the chain by reading the second chapter because it was that compelling. I promised myself that I would only read one more chapter and then switch. I will shamefully admit that it took my reading the entire book to realize that I was not only going to be reading one more chapter before I moved on.

The plot was interesting and somehow Miss Hanley was able to make me believe that I was in one every little thing that went on. She made me believe that I understood it so well that I could possibly guess what the outcome would be. And yet by the end of the book I was as surprised as the actual characters about some things. The little tidbits from Orville Gold, genie historian of Feyland was an interesting and unique way of letting the readers in on how the world operated without having to go into long explanations by the characters and I have to say that I appreciated it immensely. For some reason the ending led me to believe that there could possibly be a sequel in the making or already written and I really hope that my instinct is correct.

You don't really meet that many people in the book in depth. Yet seeing as how the story is told from the perspective of a fourteen-year-old fairy I can see why that is. Also I found that it did not really bug me as much as it normally would because the action on every page made me not even realize that until I sat down and thought on it for a bit. Thinking even deeper I wish that I could have possibly been told what had happened to Samuel because I am still clueless on that front.

Sadly while I will admit that I loved practically the whole book there were some things about said book that bugged me: 1. How everyone treated Zaria like the red-haired step child even when they had never met her before, 2. What happened to Samuel(stated above), and finally 3. How little she really did in the human world. There were a couple other things but I don't want to give everyone too many spoilers.

P.S. Cross your fingers for a sequel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I encourage feedback because it reminds me that I am not talking to myself. I don't mind if you comment on my post, recommend a book, or just want to say hello. You can even have a conversation with each other. All civil correspondence is welcomed.

Don't forget to check back for my response